Here are several pictures of the car dolly I brought home last week and the repairs I made. It needed nothing but new straps, some hardware, a ramp, and some welding.
What it looked like when I brought it home, but after the old straps were removed.
These brackets hold straps to the dolly. I pulled them off to change the straps, and decided to replace the bolts too.
The broken ramp, which has been discontinued by the manufacturer.
The ATV ramp I built a replacement ramp out of
The replacement ramp looks ugly, but it should work. I’d still purchase a new one to match the original if I found a source.
The bottom of the ramp, with some reinforcements
Painted, so it looks just slightly less ugly
I welded this bracket onto the tongue to hold a portable winch. That should assist in loading vehicles that don’t run.
The portable winch attached to aforementioned bracket
A newly welded crack in one wheel pad
Another newly welded crack in the same wheel pad
All of the bolts I had to remove were rusted in place, so I cut them off. Here’s an easy way to do it with an angle grinder:
Slot the top like so
And chip off the four pieces with a heavy duty chisel.
I’ll add another post with pictures of the whole thing once the ramp and straps are attached.
In the end, it’s fully functional and heavy duty, but it only looks good 50/50. That is, 50 feet away and rolling 50 miles an hour.